Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's really happening!

Hey so this is my first blog on my process of moving to Australia, it will probably be sort of disjointed since I have a lot to do. Firstly, why am I choosing Australia? Well after a lot of thought after this past election, I feel like I need to get out and see the world. I would like to gain a world view and a view of Canada from another country's perspective. I figure the best way to do it is to look back from the other side of the world.

I chose Australia because in many ways it's like Canada's cousin. A vast country with a small population, former British colony, extreme climate, which most of the land is inhospitable. Being unilingual, it's great for me they speak english, and have a wonderful standard of living. Like Canadians hug the American border (yet seem to hate America, you'd think Canadians would want to get as far away as possible), Australians hug the coastline.

I've been just given an offer of employment by a fantastic Australian engineering company. I will be a facade engineer, designing commercial buildings for architects in Australia, Asia and the middle east. It only hit me once the recruiter sent me the company's offer. Up until then it has just felt like vague talk, but now things really have to get moving! I will most likely be starting work on November 17th.

So I have my updated passport, and just received my working-holiday visa, which only took 24 hours to get accepted online! I love the australian process. Now I need to get an international driver's license. The big things though that I need to do is sell my car, and find someone that wants my furniture that's in storage. Crazy times!

I will be moving to the beautiful city of Melbourne, in the state of Victoria. It's the second largest city in Australia, with a population of 3.8 million people. Another similarity to Canada, like Montreal and Toronto have a rivalry, so does Melbourne and Sydney. Montreal and Toronto competed to be the capital of the new country of Canada in 1867, and the Queen said screw you guys, it's going to be in Ottawa. Sydney and Melbourne competed to be the capitals at Australia's founding, and the Queen said the same thing to them, and built Canberra out of nowhere.

Sydney like Toronto is the financial hub, and the biggest city in the country. But from chatting with people online, and from reading forums, Sydney life is serious and work work work, like Toronto. Melbourne like Montreal has more history, and is more european and cosmopolitan. People see Melbourne, like Montreal as the cultural capital. I am so excited!

I will leave things there, and leave you with a few pics that I found on web of Melbourne so you get an idea of the city:









No comments: